Buildings And Grounds Supervisor
Respirator Class: 2
Plan, organize, direct, and review the activities of buildings and grounds maintenance crews; supervise painting and landscape maintenance.
The use of respiratory equipment (including self-contained breathing apparatus (S.C.B.A.)) may be required for this position. Therefore, the Buildings and Grounds Supervisor will be required to be free of facial hair that would interfere with the use of a respirator for annual fit tests and for any occasion, which requires the use of respiratory equipment to comply with the District’s respiratory program and Cal/OSHA standards.
Supervision Received and Exercised
- Receive direction from the Plant Maintenance Superintendent.
- Exercise immediate and general supervision over Utility Workers and others in the buildings and grounds section.
Examples of Essential Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise buildings and grounds crews in a variety of unskilled and semi‑skilled work, including tank cleaning, ground maintenance, janitorial work, routine vehicle maintenance, crane truck rigging and lifting functions, confined space entries, and forklift operations.
- Assign and schedule work.
- Monitor and report on the work of contractors.
- Assist with and perform a variety of personnel actions including performance evaluations, selections, dismissals, transfers, and disciplinary actions.
- Train subordinates in the operation of vehicles, equipment, and tools used in buildings and grounds maintenance; train personnel in maintenance procedures and apparatus safety measures.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Methods, materials, equipment, and tools used in the maintenance of buildings and grounds.
- Principles, practices, and techniques of supervision.
- Safety hazards and appropriate precautions applicable to work assignments.
- Basic wastewater treatment processes.
- Use of personal computers for purchasing and maintenance functions.
- On a continuous basis analyze job layout and safety factors, identify cause of problems, interpret feedback, observe employee performance, understand employee feedback and concerns, and explain duties to subordinates.
- Continuously walk through plant; intermittently bend while handling materials, squat, kneel, and twist periodically, climb ladders, sit at desk, perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation, and lift or carry weight of 50 pounds or less. May be required to communicate via mobile communication device.
- Train and supervise assigned personnel.
- Perform complex buildings and grounds maintenance work.
- Maintain work records; prepare clear and concise reports.
- Evaluate the condition of a variety of buildings, structures, equipment, machinery, and tools; identify appropriate maintenance response.
- Establish and administer preventive maintenance procedures, schedules, and standards.
- Develop sound recommendations and courses of action regarding equipment purchases and specifications, equipment placement, and maintenance and repair programs.
- Establish and maintain cooperative work relationships.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Learn and observe all appropriate safety precautions as required by the District including, but not limited to, Cal/OSHA General Industry Safety Orders, the District’s Respiratory Protection Program, and District Safety Directives.
Special Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to wear respiratory protection device for dust protection and while painting and using certain chemicals and solvents. May be required to enter confined space. Must be able to wear S.C.B.A. and perform job duties while wearing protective equipment and S.C.B.A. weighing 32 pounds.
Experience and Education
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Five years of experience in buildings and grounds maintenance, two of which were in a supervisory or leadership capacity.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Licenses and Certificates
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
< return to Job Descriptions page
< return to Current Opportunties page