Respirator Class: 2
Perform a variety of routine maintenance duties supporting the operation of the wastewater treatment plant; perform building, grounds, and landscape maintenance duties.
This is an entry level job class. Positions in this class are not required to have prior experience or possess a range of maintenance skills. The Utility Worker performs the more routine and repetitive maintenance tasks.
The use of respiratory equipment (including self-contained breathing apparatus (S.C.B.A.)) may be required for this position. Therefore, the Utility Worker will be required to be free of facial hair that would interfere with the use of a respirator for annual fit tests and for any occasion which requires the use of respiratory equipment to comply with the District's respiratory program and Cal/OSHA standards.
Supervision Received and Exercised
- Receive immediate supervision from a supervisor or crew leader position progressing to general supervision with training and experience.
Examples of Essential Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Clean sedimentation tanks; remove screening and grit; clean plugged lines.
- Clean and maintain ultra-violet disinfection facilities.
- Clean and service mechanical equipment.
- Load and unload materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Perform landscape maintenance work; assist in painting.
- Operate a variety of light construction equipment, power tools, hand tools, and vehicles in maintenance task performance.
- Perform basic carpentry and masonry work.
- Perform janitorial work.
- Set up and take down furniture and equipment for a variety of functions.
- As assigned, perform basic entry level mechanical maintenance work.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Basic maintenance methods and equipment.
- Safety hazards and appropriate precautions applicable to work assignments.
- On a continuous basis identify what tools to use, interpret and know job needs, problem solve pump problems, remember safety precautions, and understand work orders.
- Intermittently sit while driving equipment, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist while picking up weeds, tools, using ladders, and looking in drains; perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 75 pounds or less.
- Perform moderately heavy manual labor.
- Learn the use and operation of a variety of equipment, tools, and vehicles.
- Learn preventative maintenance and inspection methods.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Learn and apply safe practices pertaining to the work; recognize and report unusual or dangerous operating situations.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Communicate via radio or cellular telephone.
- Use a computer.
- Learn and observe all appropriate safety precautions as required by the District including, but not limited to, Cal/OSHA General Industry Safety Orders, the District's Respiratory Protection Program, and District Safety Directives.
Special Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to wear respiratory protection device for dust protection and while painting and using certain chemicals and solvents. May be required to enter confined space. Must be able to wear S.C.B.A. and perform job duties while wearing protective equipment and S.C.B.A. weighing 32 pounds.
Experience and Education
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- One year of general working experience demonstrating capacity as an effective worker.
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
Licenses and Certificates
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License.
< return to Job Descriptions page
< return to Current Opportunties page