Vehicle and Equipment Service Worker
Respirator Class: 1
Maintain automotive and other equipment with fuel, oil, water, air, and lubricants; perform building and grounds maintenance, as needed.
This is an entry level class in the Vehicle and Equipment Mechanic series. Position(s) in this class are distinguished from the Vehicle and Equipment Mechanic class in that it does not perform complex mechanical repair work and does not have the breadth of experience and knowledge expected of a journey level mechanic.
The use of respiratory equipment (including self-contained breathing apparatus (S.C.B.A.)) may be required for this position. Therefore, the Vehicle and Equipment Service Worker will be required to be free of facial hair that would interfere with the use of a respirator at all times to comply with the District's respiratory program and Cal/OSHA standards.
Supervision Received and Exercised
- Receive general supervision from higher level positions. May receive immediate supervision during training or performance of more complex servicing work.
Examples of Essential Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Transport and service automotive and other equipment with fuel, oil, water, and lubricants.
- Operate a variety of vehicles, equipment, and tools.
- Maintain records on purchases, parts, and supplies.
- Clean and service vehicles and equipment.
- Load, unload, and deliver materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Perform buildings and grounds maintenance and janitorial work, as needed.
- Respond to road calls and make minor repairs.
- Wash and clean automotive equipment as needed.
- Use computer system to update and track vehicle and equipment status.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Safety hazards and appropriate precautions applicable to work assignments.
- Basic equipment maintenance.
- On a continuous basis interpret what procedure needs to be followed, know how to operate different types of equipment, problem solve broken or maintenance items, understand what tools and materials need to be used.
- Intermittently walk around shop, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist while working on equipment, sit while driving, perform simple and power grasping, pushing and pulling, fine manipulation, and lift or carry weight of 75 pounds or less. May be required to communicate via radio/cellular phone and hear radio dispatch signal.
- Learn to operate a variety of vehicles, equipment, and tools.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance and repair work on vehicles and equipment.
- Identify and recognize common mechanical problems.
- Learn preventative maintenance and inspection methods.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Use computer system to access, input, research, and maintain records.
- Learn and observe all appropriate safety precautions as required by the District including, but not limited to, Cal/OSHA General Industry Safety Orders, the District's Respiratory Protection Program, and District Safety Directives.
Special Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to wear respiratory protection equipment for dust protection and while painting and using certain chemicals and solvents.
Experience and Education
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- One year of experience involving routine automotive service work.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Licenses and Certificates
- Possession of a valid California Class A Driver's License. Must meet all written, physical, testing, and notification requirements established by the Department of Motor Vehicles. Newly hired or promoted employees must meet this requirement prior to successful completion of probationary status.
- Possession of valid special endorsement to Class A California Driver's License to operate heavy construction equipment or tank combination/bulk liquid loads, as required.
< return to Job Descriptions page
< return to Current Opportunties page