Kindergarten Pipe Protectors
Toot the Toilet
Our dirty water goes down the drain.
What happens to our dirty water after it goes down the drain?
Everybody uses the toilet, not everybody understands what happens after we flush. The Pipe Protectors program helps teach students all about what happens to their dirty water after it goes down the drain.
The Toot the Toilet pilot is a 1 hour classroom lesson, including hands-on materials and science notebooks designed especially for young students. The program will leave everyone with a deeper understanding of physical sciences, engineering, and how a system they use everyday of their lives works.
Aligned with Kindergarten NGSS standards
At the end of the lesson, students will understand:
- That only some things should be flushed down the toilet. Specifically Pee, Poop, and Toilet Paper
- That when we flush other stuff down the toilet, it can create big problems that are difficult to fix.
Students will demonstrate their understandings though:
- A conceptual model of their pre-thinking about what happens to stuff after they flush it.
- A detailed diagram of what happens when they actually flush different items down our model toilet.
- A summative assessment of things that are, and are not, appropriate to flush down the toilet.
Want to learn more?
Please contact Ben Lavender at 925-335-7723 or firstname.lastname@example.org