Contractor Registration Requirements
To be listed as a registered contractor with Central San, a contractor must be licensed, have proper insurance and utilize required OSHA permits as described below:


Contractor License Requirements

All contractors doing sewer work within the District shall be properly licensed in accordance with the provisions of Division 3, Chapter 9, Business and Professions Code, of the State of California, as amended.  Contractors shall present evidence of licensing, including license number.

Acceptable license classifications are:

  • “A” – General Engineering Contractor
  • “C-34″ – Pipeline Contractor
  • “C-36″ – Plumbing Contractor
  • “C-42″ – Sanitation Systems Contractor

Required Insurance

All contractors must obtain and maintain:

  • Worker’s Compensation Insurance as required by California law, and,
  • General and Automobile Liability Insurance with a minimum coverage of $1,000,000. 

The District may investigate the contractor’s insurance coverage at any time. Failure of the contractor to obtain and maintain the insurance as noted above may cause the denial and/or revocation of contractor’s permit, by the District.

Cal-OSHA Permit

All contractors working in excavation 5 ft. or deeper must obtain a permit from the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health.

OSHA permits may be obtained from the Cal-OSHA office by calling (510) 602-6517.


For the convenience of Central San residents, we maintain a directory of registered plumbing contractors. Contractors with 5 years or more of inactivity will be required to re-register with Central San.