Property Owner Permit
A property owner and or the property owner’s employees may install, alter, or repair the house sewer on the property. This work requires a property owner permit from Central San. Side sewer work located in a Central San easement or public right-of-way or sewer work requiring digging deeper than five (5) feet may not be done by the property owner and must be permitted and performed by a properly licensed contractor who has registered with Central San. Central San permits are required for all side sewer work performed outside of the building. Issuance of a Central San permit prior to the start of any sewer work, including trenching, is required. Plumbing work within the foundation line may be subject to a building permit that is issued by the city or county building department. More information is available by calling the Central San Permit Counter at (925) 229-7371.
- “Side sewer” is the privately owned and maintained sewer which connects the plumbing system of the building to the public sewer. The side sewer begins at and includes the connection to the public sewer and terminates at the point of connection to the building plumbing system. “Side sewer” includes the lateral sewer and the house sewer.
- “Lateral sewer” is that portion of the side sewer which is within the public right-of-way or CCCSD easement.
- “House sewer” is that portion of the side sewer from the lateral sewer to its connection to the building plumbing system.
- “Public sewer” is a main sewer which may have one or more side sewers connected to it. These sewers are normally 8 inches or larger in diameter.
Conditions for Property Owner Sewer Work
- The property owner shall complete an application for the proposed sewer work, including a plan or a sketch of the work to be performed. A separate “Application for Property Owner Permit” shall also be completed.
- The application information is entered into the Central San system for the calculation of applicable fees, and future issuance of the required Central San permit.
- Only the property owner can be issued a Central San property owner permit. Contractors engaged by the property owner may not work under a property owner permit. The contractor shall secure a separate permit from Central San for their portion of the work.
- The property owner and/or their employees may perform only that work which is located within their property. Side sewer work located in a Central San easement or public right-of-way or side sewer work that requires digging deeper than five (5) feet may not be done by the property owner and must be permitted and performed by a properly licensed contractor who has registered with Central San.
- Central San will issue a permit for the side sewer work once all of the applicable fees have been paid. Work performed without a vialid Central San permit will be subject to removal, reconstruction, and additional fees.
- When the Central San permit is issued to the property owner, a free “Property Owner Sewer Work Information” booklet will be provided which outlines several Central San specification elements for sewer design and construction.
- A property owner permit requires a preconstruction meeting with a Central San Inspector. This meeting must be scheduled before any work is performed, including digging the trench.
- After the preconstruction meeting has occurred, your first Central San inspection shall be arranged at least one (1) business day prior to performing any work. The Central San inspection group can be reached at (925) 229-7373.
- Sewer work may begin on the date of the scheduled Central San inspection. It is the responsibility of the property owner to arrange for the necessary Central San inspections as the work progresses. Work performed without Central San inspection will be subject to removal, reconstruction and additional fees.