Rates & Fees
Annual Sewer Service Charge
Central San collects an annual Sewer Service Charge from each property connected to the sewer system. The current residential rate is $598 per year for a single-family residence and $566 per year for a multi-family residential unit. For most property owners, the charge is billed on the Contra Costa County property tax bill and is labeled “CCCSD SEWER CHG.”
The annual Sewer Service Charge covers the collection and treatment of wastewater and other activities described in the Proposition 218 notice mailed to property owners. The Sewer Service Charge is billed for the upcoming fiscal year. For most non-residential customers, the charge is based on their water consumption for the prior calendar year.
The schedule of annual Sewer Service Charges can be found in the ordinance below:
- – An Uncodified Ordinance of the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District Adopting a Schedule of Sewer Service Charge Rates in Accordance with District Code Chapter 6.24.030 (effective July 1, 2019)
- The State Controller’s Property Tax Postponement Program allows homeowners who are seniors, are blind, or have a disability to defer current-year property taxes (including the sewer service charge) on their principal residence if they meet certain criteria.
- Emergency Rent and Utility Assistance Funds Available for Low-Income Walnut Creek Residents (Need must be tied to COVID-19 Issues)
Customer Relief Program
To assist our residential customers, we are waiving
the scheduled rate increase (approx. 5%) for one year, resulting in about $30 in savings for every household.
July 1, 2020
July 1, 2021
July 1, 2022
|Single-Family Residential Approved in 2019||$598||$629||$660||$690|
|Single-Family Residential After Rate Relief||$598||$598||$660||$690|
|Multi-Family Residential Approved in 2019||$566||$596||$625||$654|
|Multi-Family Residential After Rate Relief||$566||$566||$625||$654|
Environmental and Development-Related Fees and Charges
Central San charges fees for sewer permits, plan review, inspections, and other activities associated with certain new construction, sewer repair, remodel, and renovation projects. These fees are generally intended to recover Central San’s cost to provide a service.
To determine which fees might apply to a particular project, please call our Permit Counter at (925) 229-7371.
The Schedule of Environmental and Development-Related Fees and Charges can be found in the ordinance below:
- – An Ordinance of the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District Adopting an Uncodified Schedule of Environmental and Development-related Fees and Charges in Accordance with District Code Chapter 6.30 (effective July 1, 2020)
A Capacity Fee is charged for new construction projects or for the expansion of a non-residential facility which may result in an increased wastewater burden. The Capacity Fee is calculated using the equity buy-in method. Under this method, new customers are charged for their share of Central San’s assets at the same equity position as existing customers.
Capacity Fees for residential projects are calculated on a per-residential unit basis. Capacity Fees for most non-residential projects are calculated based on the business type and building square footage.
To obtain a fee quote for a particular project, please contact our Permit Counter at (925) 229-7371.
The capacity fee schedule can be found in the ordinance below:
- – An Ordinance of the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District Adopting an Uncodified Schedule of Capacity Fees, Rates and Charges in Accordance with District Code Chapter 6.12 (effective April 2, 2021)
Central San’s recycled water pipelines deliver recycled water to portions of Martinez, Pacheco, Concord, and Pleasant Hill. Customers who receive this recycled water are billed monthly for the amount of recycled water delivered.
The rate schedule for recycled water can be found in the ordinance below: