Sewer Repair, Alteration, Addition, Replacement
The repair of an existing side sewer requires a permit from the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District (Central San).
Issuance of the permit is required prior to starting any of the repair work, including trenching/excavating for the sewer line. The work may be performed by the property owner or by a properly licensed contractor who has been registered with Central San. The property owner may only repair the house sewer portion of the side sewer as long as the repair work does not require digging deeper than five (5) feet at any point.
Any work within a Central San easement or public right of way must be performed by a properly licensed contractor.
Generally, detailed plans are not needed, however, a completed application with a sketch of the proposed work is required. All side sewer repair work done outside of the building will be inspected by Central San inspectors. A permit must be pulled by the person doing the work either the property owner or properly licensed contractor as least one (1) business day prior to starting any of the sewer work, including trenching.
If you need additional information, contact Central San’s Permit Counter at (925) 229-7371.
- “Side sewer” is the privately owned and maintained sewer which connects the plumbing system of the building to the public sewer. The side sewer begins at and includes the connection to the public sewer and terminates at the point of connection to the building plumbing system. “Side sewer” includes the lateral sewer and the house sewer.
- “Lateral sewer”is that portion of the side sewer which is within the public right-of-way or CCCSD easement.
- “House sewer” is that portion of the side sewer from the lateral sewer to its connection to the building plumbing system.
- “Public sewer” is a main sewer which may have one or more side sewers connected to it. These sewers are normally 8 inches or larger in diameter.
- The applicant completes an Application for Side Sewer Repair and provides a plan or a sketch of the work to be performed.
- The application information is entered into the Central San system for the calculation of applicable fees, and future issuance of the required Central San permit.
- Once applicable Central San fees have been paid, Central San will issue a permit for the side sewer repair work to a properly licensed contractor, hired by the applicant, and registered with Central San. The Central Sanpermit will be issued only at the Central Sanpermit counter. The contractor will be responsible for all necessary side sewer work.
- Any side sewer work performed without a valid Central San permit will be subject to removal, reconstruction, and additional fees.
- If the property owner wishes to perform their own side sewer work, they can perform only that work which is located within their property that does not require any digging deeper than five (5) feet. Specific requirements for “property owner” work are summarized in the “Property Owner Permit” handout.
- Central San inspection shall be arranged at least one (1) business day prior to performing any work. The Central San inspection hotline can be reached at (925) 229-7373.
- Sewer work may begin on the date of the scheduled Central San inspection. It is the responsibility of the permittee to arrange for the necessary Central San inspections as the work progresses. Work performed without Central San inspection will be subject to removal, reconstruction and additional fees.