Low Income Household Water Assistance Program


The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a federally funded program that offers low-income households a one-time payment to help pay outstanding bills for residential water or wastewater costs. In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the federal government awarded California funding to help households struggling to afford the costs of water and wastewater service, and many Californians in need may qualify. 

LIHWAP can offer a one-time payment to help you:

  • Pay your residential water and wastewater utility bills.
  • Manage an emergency or water crisis, such as a service disconnection.
  • Prevent other adverse effects such as debt collection or placement of liens.

The amount of help that you may get will depend on the past due balance of your household’s residential water and wastewater bills. Households whose utility payments are included in their rent may also be eligible for LIHWAP. Program participation is limited to households receiving services from water and wastewater providers enrolled in LIHWAP. Central San has enrolled in LIHWAP, and our customers are eligible to apply.         

LIHWAP may be able to help you pay your Central San wastewater residential utility bill. As Central San’s Sewer Service Charge billing is included on the annual property tax bill, if you were unable to pay your property tax bill during the COVID-19 pandemic, LIHWAP may be able to help pay the outstanding Sewer Service Charge portion of your property tax bill. 

When you apply, if you qualify, the program will send funds to Central San for the unpaid portion of the property tax bill representing Central San’s Sewer Service Charge for the period from March 4, 2020, to June 15, 2021. This could be as much as $763.02 for single family residences and $722.19 for other residences. (LIHWAP eligible Sewer Service Charges)

Amounts will then be credited to your outstanding property tax bill for the applicable years (2019-20 and 2020-21). You will remain responsible for any other outstanding charges on your property tax bill including penalties and interest.   

To apply, please contact:

Contra Costa Employment & Human Services Department/Community Services Bureau
1470 Civic Court, Ste 200, Concord, CA 94520
Phone: (925) 681-6380
Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Learn more about LIHWAP.