Permit Information


Permit Counter Operations

Central San’s Permit Counter is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding district holidays. Central San Permit Counter staff provide sewer work permit issuance, plan review, project fee quote, permit history and easement research services. 

Plan Review Drop-off/Pick-Up 

Plan submittals can be dropped off and picked up during Central San’s Permit Counter hours. A completed application form must be submitted with your plan submittal. If fees are due for the project, staff will reach out during the plan review process with the fee payment options. Central San is unable to process “over the counter” plan reviews at the time of submittal; all submittals go through the same standard review process. Plan review is currently taking a minimum of 10-25  business days depending upon the project’s scope of work. Expedited plan review services are not available.  

In-Person Services

The Central San Permit Counter is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding district holidays) for the following types of services:   

  1. Request for Information – about permitting process or to get sewer permit history 
  2. Pay fees by check or credit card (not available after 3:30 p.m.) 
  3. Sewer repair permit issuance (not available after 3:00 p.m.) 
  4. Submit an application package*:
    a. Sewer repair, connection, alteration permits
    b. Encroachment Verification Plan Review
    c. Residential Project Plan Review
    d. Commercial Project Plan Review 

*All submittals go through the same standard review process, regardless of whether the plans are dropped off at the permit counter or mailed in. If mailing plans in, please address them to “Central San Permit Counter, 5019 Imhoff Pl, Martinez, CA 94553.”

Virtual Services

The following will continue to be served virtually by emailing

  • Sewer repair, alteration and connection permit issuance 
  • Public sewer mainline plan review submittals 
  • Pay fees electronically through PayPal (Central San will send the invoice after it has been requested by the applicant)
  • Requests for Information

Please note plan review is not yet available as a virtual service. Please read the Plan Review section under Permit Counter Operations for plan review submittal requirements. 


Plan Review

Plan reviews are performed on various types of projects for properties within the Central San service area. Depending on the scope of work for the project, a plan review is performed to check for compliance with Central San’s Municipal Code and Standard Specifications for Sewer Design and Construction, determine if a sewer permit is required, ensure there are no conflicts with Central San easements, ensure proper pre-treatment devices are installed, and collect any applicable sewer fees. 


Sewer Repairs

When sewer work will occur outside the building, whether it is on property or off property, a Central San sewer permit is required. The sewer permit must be pulled prior to starting any sewer work, including trenching and excavating for sewer. Start of work notification and inspections are to be called in at least 24 hours in advance. All exterior sewer work shall meet Central San Standard Specifications and the contractor who is pulling the permit shall meet all licensing requirements.


Sewage Pumps

For most properties, the private side sewer can be located so that sewage from the property will enter the public sewer by gravity. In some instances, however, the residence is lower than the elevation of the public sewer. When this situation exists, it is necessary for the property owner to install and maintain a residential sewage pump to lift the sewage from the residence up to the public sewer. Decisions to permit individual residential pump stations are made on a case-by-case basis by Central San.


Septic System Conversions
Converting From An Individual Private Septic System To Central San Public Sewer Service

Central San is an independent special district that collects and treats wastewater for ten cities and many unincorporated areas in central Contra Costa County.  When the time comes to abandon an existing septic system and convert to public sewer, a Central San sewer permit is required prior to starting any of the exterior sewer work.