Hazardous Waste Disposal for Small Businesses


Below you will find the information and instructions for the Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Program.

Eligible Businesses

Non-profit groups, landlords, condo operators, contractors, small businesses and any other organization or commercial entity that meets the following criteria:

  • Be located in, and generate the waste in the cities and communities of Alamo, Clayton, Clyde, Concord, Danville, Lafayette, Martinez, Moraga, Orinda, Pacheco, Pleasant Hill, San Ramon, Walnut Creek and other central county unincorporated areas.
  • Qualify as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) as defined in the California Health and Safety Code, section 25218.1, and the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40, section 261.5. In summary, a CESQG must meet the following criteria:
    • Your business must produce less than 220 lbs, or 27 gallons in total* of hazardous waste per month per location, and less than 2.2 lbs of Extremely or Acutely Hazardous Waste per month per location.
    • Your business must have less than 2200 lbs (about five (5) 55 gallon drums) of all kinds of hazardous waste in storage at any time.
    • Your business must produce less than 110 lbs of perchloroethylene wastes per month.

*Wastes that are not to be included in these volume requirements are the recyclable wastes of used motor oil, antifreeze, fluorescent tubes, and household batteries. (State, County, District and local hazardous materials regulating agencies reserve the right to visit your organization to verify your qualifications as a CESQG).

What to do First

You need to obtain a Small Business Brochure. This information can be obtained by downloading the PDFs below, calling the Household Hazardous Waste Hotline at 1(800) 646-1431, or by sending an e-mail message to the CESQG Collection staff (cesqg@centralsan.org) requesting a packet. Please provide your company name, mailing address, phone number, and contact name.

The packet will include our Small Business Brochure

You can also complete an electronic version of the Waste Inventory and Certification Form.  

Any business that generates hazardous waste must have an EPA Identification Number. 

Once you have received your EPA ID Number and have filled out the forms, fax, mail, or email the completed forms to:

Central Contra Costa Sanitary District – Small Business Program
5019 Imhoff Place
Martinez, CA 94553
Fax (925) 335-7737


Getting an Appointment

After we have reviewed your form, staff will fill out the “Cost” column, call to schedule your business for an appointment and fax the information back to the contact person listed for your company on the form. To request to cancel or change the time or date, please call (800) 646-1431.

What Can I Bring?

The small business program accepts a wide range of labeled hazardous wastes; for example, most common consumer type building maintenance products (e.g., painting, cleaning, gardening, and auto), as well as pure chemicals used in business or laboratory applications are accepted. If you have a question regarding the acceptability of your wastes, please call (800) 646-1431.

What Can’t I Bring?


  • Non-hazardous wastes
  • Sharps and Medical waste (needles, scalpels, etc.)
  • Medications and Pharmaceuticals
  • Explosives
  • Radioactive material
  • Unknown or unlabeled chemicals
  • PCB wastes greater than 50 ppm
  • E-Waste

How Much Can I Bring?

State law limits the total amount your business may transport up to 27 gallons or 220 pounds per month. No individual container may be over 5 gallons or 50 pounds in weight.

How to Package

All materials must be labeled and packaged in sturdy, non leaking containers. Tighten all lids. No individual container may be greater than 5 gallons or 50 pounds in size. Package all wastes in original containers if possible. If you have a leaking container, place it in a larger container no larger than 5 gallons (such as a plastic bucket available from hardware stores). Small leaking containers can be placed individually inside double ziplock bags. Always include an original label, MSDS or note with information that identifies the waste contents. Do not mix different wastes in the same container.

How to Transport

Place the materials upright in your vehicle and prop them so they will not slip or tip over. For safety, transport the materials in your vehicle’s trunk or truck bed, away from the passenger compartment. No Hazardous Waste Manifest or transporter registration is required for eligible businesses.

What Happens Next?

Upon arriving at the facility, you will be directed into an unloading area where District staff will verify the waste amount, collect your fee, and unload your wastes. We are a full service operation; please stay in your vehicle at all times. Your waste will be checked against your inventory, weighed if necessary, and the remainder of your Waste Inventory and Certification Form will be completed and signed by our staff and your employee who is dropping the waste off. Please retain your copy of the completed, signed Waste Inventory and Certification Form for a minimum of three years, which will document your proper disposal of hazardous waste.