Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
Open for Service by Appointment Only
Our Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility has reopened with modified operations to protect the health and safety of our customers and employees. At this time, HHW drop-off is available by appointment only. Please schedule your appointment using our online system.
Small business drop-off appointments are being scheduled as usual. Learn more and schedule an appointment.
Opening Days and Hours
HHW – By Appointment Only
Monday – Saturday, 7 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Recycled Water Fill Station
Monday – Saturday, 7 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Remains closed until further notice
Step-by-Step: How to Schedule an Appointment and Drop off Your Waste
- Please schedule your appointment using our online system found here. Call our hotline at 800-646-1431 for assistance. Appointments are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To help ensure we can serve all our customers, appointments are limited to one per household per month.
- Normal waste limits apply: We can accept up to 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous waste per appointment, in containers no larger than five gallons.
- Before visiting the HHW facility, place your waste in the trunk or hatchback of your vehicle or the bed of your truck. HHW staff will not collect waste that is in the front or back seat.
- Face coverings and social distancing are required at all times while visiting the HHW facility, including while you are in your vehicle.
- HHW staff will retrieve the waste from your vehicle. Please remain in your vehicle unless staff ask you to exit the vehicle to open or close the trunk or tailgate.
The Solution to Pollution
In 1997, Central San and Mt. View Sanitary District teamed up to build the first permanent Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility in the county. Residents may drop off household hazardous waste at no charge. Small businesses pay a small fee to dispose of their hazardous waste. In its first 20 years, the facility collected more than 36 million pounds of hazardous waste.
Hazardous waste generated by residents and businesses can reach our waterways through runoff, sanitary sewers, storm drains, landfills, and can pollute our local water environment. The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility helps prevent this pollution through reuse, recycling, and proper disposal of hazardous waste.
- Central San teamed up with Mt. View Sanitary District (MVSD) in 1997 to build and operate the first permanent Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility in Contra Costa County.
- The HHW Collection Facility is located adjacent to Central San wastewater treatment plant in Martinez, west of Solano Way from Highway 4.
- In its first 10 years, the HHW Collection facility kept more than 16 million pounds of hazardous waste out of the environment.
- Hazardous waste generated from households in the central Contra Costa County area is accepted at no charge upon drop-off.
- Small businesses are charged an administration fee of $20 and a nominal disposal fee, based on the type and quantity of waste to be disposed. For more information take a look at our or call 1-800-646-1431.
- To keep hazardous waste disposal to a minimum, and to assure products are used up as they were intended, the HHW Collection Facility offers a Reuse Program that allows residents and businesses to take usable products, for example, paint, automotive products, and household cleaners at no charge.
- To help “close the recycling loop,” the facility was constructed by using materials containing recycled content – such as newspapers, plastic, and glass — from community recycling programs.