Hazardous Wastes ACCEPTED at the HHW Collection Facility
For a listing of what is accepted at the HHW Collection Facility, click here.
Hazardous Wastes NOT ACCEPTED at the HHW Collection Facility
- Medications (Learn about proper pharmaceutical disposal)
- Medical waste, Sharps (needles, scalpels, etc.):
- NOTE: Effective September 1, 2008 Sharps can no longer be disposed of in the trash.
- Sharps Disposal Quick Reference (locations in central Contra Costa County)
- Concord residents can drop off sharps at Concord Disposal Service
- There are also a number of companies that provide “mail back sharps disposal” for a fee.
- Waste contaminated with PCBs at more than 50 ppm (fluorescent light ballasts containing PCBs will be accepted)
- Radioactive material:
- For Smoke Detector recycling see link with manufacturer take-back information
- Radioactive material, other than smoke detectors, contact Contra Costa Health Services
- Explosive waste (including ammunition, picric acid, and fireworks) - contact local law enforcement agency
- Compressed gas cylinders (propane accepted) - contact local compressed gas suppliers
- E-waste – for information on e-waste disposal see:
- Treated Wood Waste:
- Norcal Waste Systems
6426 Hay Rd. Vacaville, CA 95687
- Waste Management Altamont Landfill
10840 Altamont Pass Rd, Livermore, CA 94550
Other Waste Collection Centers in Our Area