Sewer Repairs


Sewer Repairs

When sewer work will occur outside the building, whether it is on property or off property, a Central San sewer permit is required. The sewer permit must be pulled prior to starting any sewer work, including trenching and excavating for sewer. Start of work notification and inspections are to be called in at least 24 hours in advance. All exterior sewer work shall meet Central San Standard Specifications and the contractor who is pulling the permit shall meet all licensing requirements.


A Repair Permit is a permit to repair a sewer line located outside of the building whether or not the repair is located on property or off property. Repair permits are trade specific (plumbing); this means Central San can only issue the permit to a plumber or a contractor who holds an “A” license. Please see our contractor requirement page for additional information on contractor licenses. Application for Side Sewer Repairs / Alterations / Extensions Permit

To obtain a pipe burst repair permit, a pre-installation TV inspection (pre-tv) is required. This inspection occurs prior to issuance of the pipe burst repair permit. To schedule a pre-tv inspection, call the Inspection Hotline, (925) 229-7373, at least 24-hours prior to the desired inspection date. Applicant's Guide to Pipe Bursting

New Connections

A New Connection Permit is a permit to connect a new house or structure to the public sewer mainline or a capped lateral. For new homes and ADU, the connection permit can either be pulled by the contractor performing the sewer work after the foundation has been poured (earliest the sewer work can be issued for residential projects of 4 or fewer units or after the roof is on the structure and rough plumbing inspection with the vents through the roof has been passed by the local building department (“roof and rough completion”). Due to additional inspection requirements, pulling the permit after foundation pour, but before roof and rough incurs additional inspection fees. For commercial projects the permit will need to be pulled by the contractor performing the sewer work after roof and rough completion. For information on contractor license requirements, please see our contractor requirement page for more information.
Residential Application for Wastewater Utility Service and Plan Review
Non-Residential Application for Sanitary Sewer Service


When an existing sewer line is to be altered (capped off, new branch connection, re-routed due to a new improvement, etc.) an Alteration Permit is required. For information on contractor license requirements, please see our contractor requirement page for more information. 
Application for Side Sewer Repairs / Alterations / Extensions Permit

Owner Permit 

An Owner Permit is a permit pulled by a property owner when the property owner is performing the sewer work. A pre-construction meeting with our inspector is required on all property owner permits. The pre-construction meeting occurs after permit issuance, but before any sewer work has started. If a contractor will be performing the sewer work, a property owner sewer permit cannot be issued; the contractor will be required to pull the permit under their company name. The contractor will be required to meet Central San licensing requirements. If the sewer work entails trenching deeper than 5-feet, out of safety concerns, a property owner permit cannot be issued. Please see our contractor requirement page for more information.
Application for Property Owner Permit


A permit is required to install a sewer cleanout. Cleanouts are required for any structures connected to sewer. The cleanout is your direct access to your sewer line for cleanings and inspections. A cleanout needs to be in an accessible location. The building sewer cleanout is required to be installed within 2-feet of the building foundation. Additional cleanout location requirements can be found in Section 4-09 Structures of the Central San 2022 Standard Specifications for Design and Construction. Unless the installation of a cleanout is required due to bends, pressure to gravity line transition, length of pipe, or size of the sewer mainline, a property line cleanout is not required within Central San’s service area.    

Overflow Protection Devices

Overflow protection devices, commonly called OPD and sewer poppers are required for all structures connected to sewer. This requirement helps prevent sewage from entering back into the building and re-routes the spill to outside of the house or structure. The OPD is installed on a sewer cleanout at an elevation that protects the property. Because the location and elevation of the OPD are extremely important, it is recommended a licensed plumber or contractor install or assist in the installation of the cleanout. Additional OPD requirements can be found in Section 4-09 Structures of the Central San 2022 Standard Specifications for Design and Construction.


All sewer work occurring outside the footprint of a structure requires a Central San permit and inspections by a Central San Inspector. An inspection with Central San is to occur on the first day any sewer work will start. To request an inspection, you must call the Inspection Hotline at least 24-hours prior to the requested inspection date. The Inspection Hotline phone number is (925) 229-7373. The hotline is an automated voicemail where you will leave your name, permit number, job site address, phone number and any other pertinent information. 

Emergency Work

Emergency Work: when an occupied structure does not have sewer service due to an issue with the exterior sewer pipe, the contractor shall follow the procedures outlined in Central San Standard Specification section 3-04. Emergency Work.  

3-04 Emergency Work A. When a Contractor is contacted by one of its customers for immediate response to repair a sewer/recycled water service line at any time outside of Central San regular inspection hours (7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.), the work may be done as an “emergency” response only to the extent required to restore sewer/recycled water service and shall comply with the following: 1. The Contractor may proceed with emergency work only after leaving a message stating the location and scope of the work required on Central San’s Inspection Hotline. The Inspection Hotline phone number is (925) 229-7373. 2. Excavations for repair work shall not be backfilled until favorable Central San inspection is received; however, excavations shall be properly protected with 4’ x 8’ sheets of 1-1/8” thick plywood in non-traffic areas or with trench plates in traffic areas, to ensure public safety whenever work is not in progress. 3. The Contractor shall apply for a Central San permit for the work at 8 a.m. on the next Central San business day following any emergency response and shall obtain the permit prior to requesting inspection of the work. 

Contractor Lists

For the convenience of Central San residents, we maintain a directory of registered contractors who have pulled a permit within the last 5 years. Contractors who are registered with Central San and are active within our system are displayed on our  Current Contractor List. This list was created for the convenience of Central San residents. This list is not an endorsement of any contractor.  After registering with Central San, any contractor who possesses the required license as stated by District Code §5.12.030, may apply for and pull a permit. The license type a contractor possesses dictates the sewer work they will be allowed to perform. Contractors with 5 years or more of inactivity are considered inactive and will be required to re-register with Central San.